Website developed by Clarks Computer Systems
WELCOME TO BLAKES
An Experienced Estate Agent You Can Trust
Originally established in Moordown in 1946, we are currently situated in Wimborne Road, Winton. A recent change of management means we are now in partnership with Harcourts (based in Southampton and established in 1981), offering a wide range of services which can be tailored to suit your requirements. We cover all aspects of property sales, property management, block management and regulated tenancies. Please contact us for further information.
properties matching your search:
Selling and Letting Property in the Winton, Talbot Park, Moordown, Ensbury Park, Northbourne, Redhill and Charminster areas of Bournemouth since 1946.
Originally established in Moordown in 1946, we are currently situated in Wimborne Road, Winton. A recent change of management means we are now in partnership with Harcourts who are based in Southampton and who were established in 1981. At Blakes we can now offer a wider range of services to include full management of regulated tenancies and block management. We also cover all aspects of property sales, lettings and property management. Please contact one of our friendly team for further information or complete our enquiry form.
Meet our dedicated team of professionals:
Linda Long – Senior Partner
Linda joined Harcourts in 1984 and has vast experience in block management, regulated tenancies, surveys and valuations and is a member of ARLA and the NAEA.
Lisa Headington – Partner
Lisa has been the Lettings Manager at Harcourts in Southampton since 2007 and will now be using her expertise to assist with and oversee the office at Blakes. Lisa completed her Professional Diploma in October 2014 and is a member of The Guild of Lettings and Management.
Janice Ball – Partner
Janice is the Accounts Manager and is responsible for all the landlords’ accounts. Having joined Harcourts in 1996 Janice has vast experience in this role. She is AAT level 4 qualified and is a full member of The Association of Accounting Technicians.
Karen Atkinson – Sales & Lettings
Karen has worked in the industry since 1991 and deals with residential sales, investment buy-to-lets and lettings. Her knowledge and experience shines through and she is available to offer free advice and guidance whether you are looking to buy, sell or rent out your property.
Glenda Sampson – Lettings Administration & Accounts
Glenda has organised the accounting side and the administration involved in lettings for over 9 years and has vast experience within the business. Always on hand to help, she is a very approachable and valued member of the team.
Reece Fletcher – Trainee Sales Negotiator
Reece is our new apprentice and is currently undertaking his NFOPP Technical award in Residential Sales. Currently working in both sales and lettings Reece will continue to progress and grow with the business.
Angela Sandford – Office Support
Angela has worked in our office since 2003 and mostly covers Saturdays. Her role is in-house office support carrying out administrative tasks and dealing with any enquiries, both face to face and over the telephone.
Why Choose Blakes?
First established in 1946, Blakes (formely Blake & Blake) have many years’ experience in Lettings and Sales in Bournemouth, Poole and the surrounding areas. We have an excellent knowledge of the area and are particularly experienced in the ‘buy-to-let’ market, from the initial sourcing and purchasing of an investment property through to advice on presenting properties for sale. We have an excellent understanding of the local rental market and all the legislative requirements involved in Assured Shorthold Tenancies or Regulated Tenancies.
We can provide a management package to suit your own requirements, from a basic Tenant Find service to Fully Managed, which encompasses the new legislation and regulations which are now a major factor in lettings
We can also arrange for Energy Performance Certificates where required, Landlords’ Gas Safe Certificates and give advice on current safety regulations.
Our professionally trained staff can answer questions and offer specialist advice on all modern tenancy requirements.
With our wide knowledge of the local market we can offer specialist advice on all aspects of buying and selling properties. We can present and advertise your property to appeal to applicants whether they are looking for a new home, or an investment.
We can provide professional photographs, an Energy Performance Certificate together with valuation advice and full advertising and marketing.
Please call our offices to speak to our friendly sales team in order to discuss your particular requirements.
Residential Lettings Services
Use this service if you have the expertise and knowledge to manage your own property but require assistance in finding a suitable tenant. You will have the assurance that any prospective tenant will go through a full and thorough referencing procedure. This service includes:
- Advice on rental levels, in line with current market rents.
- Property marketing and advertising and accompanied viewings.
- Full referencing – please see below for list of checks carried out.
- No charges made until the tenancy commences.
- An Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (if required)
- Deposit Protection with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (if required).
- Collection of the first month’s rent.
Use this service if you prefer to take care of your own maintenance and repairs but do not want the inconvenience of advertising, finding suitable tenants and monitoring their rent payments. This service has all the features of a tenant find service, together with:
- Monthly rent collection and accounting on a quarterly basis.
- Deposit collection (if required) and protection with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.
- A letting fee is applicable if a new tenant is required.
This is our most popular service for landlords. Use fully managed if you want the peace of mind that your property is in good hands. All the day to day issues will be taken care of and all lettings legislation adhered to. This service covers all the above features but also includes:
- A comprehensive inventory, including photographs.
- Notification of tenant details and meter readings to utility companies at both the start and end of the tenancy.
- Rent collection and close monitoring of payments.
- Arranging property repairs and dealing with any maintenance issues.
- Regular property inspections, reports provided on request.
- Accounting on a monthly basis
Safety Regulations and Guidance for Landlords
The landlord (or his agent) has a statutory obligation to ensure the safety of the tenant. The following items must be adhered to, failure to do so can lead to large fines or prosecution.
The Gas Safety (installation and use) Regulations 1994 (1996) 1998
You must make sure the gas equipment supplied is safely installed and maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Only a Gas Safe registered engineer can carry out the annual Gas Safety on each appliance and flue. A copy of the Gas Safety check record must be given to the tenant before they move in, or within 28 days of the inspection
The Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (1993) (1996)
All soft furnishings supplied in the course of letting a property must meet the official fire resistance standards by containing a permanent attached label confirming that the furniture complies. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, including beds, mattresses, sofa-beds, cushions etc.
Smoke Alarms in Residential Lettings
The Building Regulations (1991) state that all properties built since June 1992 must be fitted with mains operated interlinked smoke detectors/alarms with at least one detector per floor level.
It is also the case that all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are required to supply a mains operated interlinked smoke alarm system.
In the case of older single family rental properties, technically there is no legal requirement for landlords to provide a smoke alarm. However, it is strongly recommended that landlords do provide at least a battery operated smoke alarm or alarms in their rented properties.
We take our duty of care to tenants very seriously and many of our tenants have been with us for a number of years so whether you are looking for a short or long term rental we always strive to provide a reliable and professional service.
As a tenant with Blakes you have the reassurance that your deposit will be protected with an approved scheme. We have skilled tradesman available to ensure repairs are dealt with as swiftly as possible.
Useful infomration for Applicants
- Register your details, requirements and preferred rental level.
- Make an appointment to view any properties of interest. To find a property to rent in Bournemouth, Poole and surrounding areas, click here (insert link)
- Once you decide to apply for a tenancy at one of our properties you will be given an application form which must be completed in full. At this time you will be required to pay an administration and referencing fee. This fee is non-refundable should you fail references or change your mind once references have been taken. Once the fee is taken the property will then be marked as under offer and no further viewings will take place.
- All persons over the age of 18 wishing to live at the property must be named on the Tenancy Agreement and will be joint and severally liable.
- Full references will be taken on each applicant, together with a credit check. Please note, if you have any outstanding County Court Judgements this will result in your application being declined. If you are unsure of this we advise that you carry out your own credit check before you pay the administration and referencing fee.
- It is a client recommendation that you take out a Contents Insurance Policy as your Landlord will not be liable for any claims involving your own possessions. Please speak to a member of our staff for more information.
- If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit you will require a Guarantor, this must be someone with sufficient income to cover the rent if for some reason Housing Benefit do not pay. Please note, not all landlords accept Housing Benefit.
- Once references have been checked we will contact you to agree a starting date and make an appointment for you to come into the office, sign your Tenancy Agreement and collect your keys. At this time you must pay the deposit together with the rent due for that month. (If you are moving in mid-month we will calculate the pro-rata amount due).
- If you intend to keep pets (please note not all landlords allow pets at the property) you will be required to make an additional payment towards your deposit (minimum £100.00 at the landlords’ discretion).
Letting Fees Information
Our aim is to keep fees affordable, simple and as transparent as possible. We charge an administration fee at the start of the application process. This covers the cost of references, office administration, an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement and all the associated paperwork required for a new tenancy. For the tenant’s convenience and peace of mind we will notify all the relevant utility companies of your details which will include your name, the moving in date and up-to-date meter readings.
Some applicants may need to provide a guarantor. This is usually the case if you are a student with no fixed income, if you are in receipt of housing benefit or if you do not meet the affordability criteria.
An Inventory will be provided for you at the start of your tenancy (subject to your landlords’ terms). The Check-out report will be carried out at the end of the tenancy and the fee for this report will be payable in advance.
|Single Applicant Fee||£250.00|
|Additional Applicant Fee||£90.00|
|Student Applicant Fee (including guarantor)||£175.00|
|Renewal Fee (fixed term)||£50.00 75.00|
A security deposit will be taken at the start of the tenancy. The deposit amount required is usually equivalent to one month’s rental plus £100.00. If you intend to keep a pet at the property permission must be given by the landlord and you will be required to make an additional payment to your deposit (minimum of £100.00 subject to your landlords’ terms).
If you require any further information please contact us and speak to a member of our lettings team.
“A big thank you for your help and advice in buying our new property. We’re very grateful and will invite you back to see what the house will look like in years’ time”.
Best wishes Louise & Nic
“Thank you for all your help and kindness”.
Hazel & Tony
“Thank you for your efficiency in selling our flat”.
Nick & Karen
“You and your team provided us with excellent service and we want you to know that we would always recommend you to anyone”.
Edward & Kerry
“We really appreciate the effort you and your team put into our move. Thank you for your patience, persistence and sense of humour”.
Jayne, Lee, Zoe and Emma
“Thanks for providing such a friendly efficient & professional sale on our house and for having the local knowledge that counts, best wishes to the no 1 agent in Winton”.
Phil & Hilary